Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro
These in-earphones are specially custom made to fit my ear canal. Each piece consists of 3 drivers; two low-mid-end drivers in parallel to balance the load and a single high-end tweeter. The crossover is handled by passive low-pass and high-pass filters respectively. A resistor in the passive crossover network flattens bass curve to make the low and midrange frequencies align better with the highs.
As you might imagine, the audio quality, soundscape, and compact size is something else, just pure bliss to use.
- Type: Canal in-ear monitors
- Drivers: Triple driver with surface mount crossover network
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 16kHz (±3dB)
- High Frequency Driver: Balanced armature
- Low Frequency Drivers: Dual loaded armature
- Input Sensitivity: 119 dB/mW
- Impedance: 13.3 Ohms
- Cable Length: 117 cm transparent mesh cable
- Input Connector: 1/4-inch stereo plug, 1/8-inch stereo adapter included
- Noise Isolation: 26dB
- Cleaning tool: Wax removal tool
- Travel Case: Engraved metal carrying case with your name on
- Standard finishes: 13 color options, including clear, plus 2 color swirls
- Accessories: 117cm and 163cm replacement cables, lubricant
- Warranty: 1 year, 30 day warranty against poor fit
I first tried the UE-5 (two drivers) but they didn't fit right. After getting a new imprint and a second set of UE-5 the sound was still not right and as clear as I imagined.
The nice people at Ultimate Ears (thanks!) let me keep the two previous UE-5 and upgrade to the UE-10 Pro (for a small fee). The audio difference was noticeable better. It's been my favorite earphone since I got them in April 2005 (as of writing Sept 2011).
The UE-10 Pro has since been upgraded to UE-11 Pro and then JH11 Pro.
Since the entire casing is custom poured, the color can be mixed and blended to your own preferences. I chose translucent body with a black colored end-cap, a nice neutral match and you can still see the insides.